Effective Date: [June 1, 2018]
Your use of the Site constitutes your agreement to the practices outlined in the Terms, including our Privacy and Information Security Policy, which may be amended from time to time. Gates MRI reserves the right to modify the Terms any time and without prior notification to users of the Site.
Persons under 18 years of age are not authorized to use the Site. Please do not use the Site or otherwise submit content or personal information if you do not agree to the Terms or if your jurisdiction will not honor them.
To the extent users of this Site are employees or other agents of entities, references to "you" means both (1) any entity or individual that is your employer or for whom you act as agent, and (2) the "user" individually unless otherwise stated on the Site or in these Terms.
Table of Contents
A. User Content -- Your Responsibility and License to Others;
B. Site Activities;
C. No Commissions
1. Copyright and Use of Content
The Site contains a variety of information, including (without limitation) data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages or other materials, provided on the Site ("Content"). Unless otherwise noted, copyright in the text materials are owned by the Gates Archive, the Gates MRI or its affiliates.
Much of the Content on the Site is not available for downloading, including copyrighted works and the works of others that we are not permitted to distribute further. You will not use or disclose Content or the Site to third parties except as expressly permitted by these terms.
The Site may also include Content that that may be downloaded and used by you in accordance with these terms. You may review, download, copy, distribute and otherwise use such Available Content solely to further your mission in the ordinary course of your governmental or charitable purpose and attendant operations. You may not sell or otherwise distribute Available Content for a fee.
This Site is controlled by us from our offices within the United States of America. If you choose to access this Site from locations outside the U.S. you do so at your own risk and you are responsible for compliance with any local laws. You may not use or export anything (including information) from the Site in violation of U.S. export laws, regulations or the Terms.
2. Registration and Creating Profiles etc.; Attribution of Electronic Acts to You
For some areas of the Site, you may have to complete a registration process or create a profile for use in applying for something (e.g., a job or a grant). Completion of the process will usually create an account with a user name and password or other identifier which you agree to guard as confidential information—if you are careless with it, others may be able to access the information. You agree to provide accurate, current and complete information at all times. You also agree that you will review, maintain, correct, and update such information in a timely manner to maintain its accuracy and completeness by using the means allowed for the relevant information or, when appropriate, by contacting us. If you provide (or the Gates MRI has reasonable grounds to believe that you provided) any information that is inaccurate, not current, or incomplete, the Gates MRI may suspend or terminate your access, application, grant or participation in a program, in addition to exercising all rights and remedies allowed by law.
You agree that all uses of the identifier established for you during a registration or similar process will be attributed to and legally bind you and may be relied upon by us and our agents, affiliates, and other third parties with whom we work in order to provide the Site, Content, services or pursue our mission (including but not limited to our and their respective affiliates, officers, employees and agents) (collectively "Third Parties"), as being a use made by you, even if someone else used your identifier.
3. User Content and Site Activities
A. Your Responsibility and License to Others. Sometimes you may wish to upload, post, or otherwise submit Content to the Gates MRI via the Site. When you provide Content, you:
In addition to the rights above, you acknowledge and agree that we may keep Content indefinitely, in accordance with applicable law, and disclose it for any purpose, including but not limited to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce these Terms; (c) respond to claims that any Content violates the rights of third-parties; or (d) without undertaking a duty to do so, protect the rights, property, or personal safety of the Gates MRI, its users and the public.
You agree not to upload, post or otherwise transmit through the Site any Content or any other materials whatsoever that are or could appear to:
The Gates MRI anticipates that substantial Content or even assistance will be made available to you and others through the Site or otherwise. Content may be outdated or contain typographical errors, inaccuracies, omissions, or problematic or defective functionality, and assistance (such as Gates MRI help with a report you are obligated to make) will need your review. YOU AGREE NOT TO RELY ON CONTENT OR ASSISTANCE AND TO DETERMINE ALL RELEVANT FACTORS ON YOUR OWN, INCLUDING (WITHOUT LIMITATION) ACCURACY, FUNCTIONALITY, QUALITY, RELIABILITY AND OTHER RELEVANT FACTORS. We reserve the right to monitor and exercise all other rights of ours, and to modify or remove any Content or assistance at any time, but do not undertake any duty to do so.
Any opinions, advice, statements, assistance, services, offers, or information expressed or made available by third parties, including users, are those of the respective author(s) or distributor(s) and not of the Gates MRI.
B. Site Activities. The Site is provided as is and when available, and we may change all Content, functionality and services in our discretion at any time. We may also do this for particular activities even if you have started to participate. For example, we can change a job description at any time even if you have already applied, and not all jobs may be posted at all or on the Site – we use various methods for pursuing our mission and they are not limited to the Site. Also, we or Third Parties might make a mistake and we reserve the right to correct anything, including but not limited to Content or assistance on the Site. For example, we may correct, change, withdraw or do anything else with a job description even if you have already acted based on it.
C. No Commissions. We do not want to deal with persons desiring to be paid for something unless we intentionally enter into an express contract to do so. This means, for example, that we do not pay commissions or other sums to anyone who helps arrange a job, contract or anything else unless we have expressly contracted to do so in writing prior to any such arrangement. For example, if you submit an application for someone else without entering into such a contract with us, we will not pay you (or anyone else) a commission or other amount even if we accept the application, hire the person, etc. We may also use, delete or ignore any information you provided without paying you anything and without undertaking any duties to you or anyone else. If you do not want that result then do not submit any information without entering into a written contract with us first.
5. Infringement of Our Rights or the Rights of Others; Your Warranty. Our Site, including the Content, is protected by intellectual property laws and you agree to respect them. See the "Additional or Required Notices" section of these Terms for more information about our trademarks and copyrights. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved. As for intellectual property rights of others, anyone who believes that their work has been infringed, may provide a notice to our copyright agent—see the Additional or Required Notices section of thee Terms. It is our policy to terminate in appropriate circumstances any (if any) account or right of access for repeated infringement, and we also reserve the right to terminate for even one infringement.
6. Feedback; Your License to Us. We hope that you will provide your Feedback (as defined below) so that we may better support, improve and pursue our charitable mission. However, you agree that you will not supply Feedback that infringes or violates the rights of others, and you hereby grant a License to the Gates MRI (as defined below) in your Feedback. You agree that we have no obligation to pay you or anyone else for Feedback or for the License to the Gates MRI. "Feedback" means all remarks, data, suggestions, methods, surveys, reports, processes and ideas (including patentable ideas) and other Content that you provide by using the Site or provide about it, Content or any aspect of our mission or operations, whether provided to us or persons working with us or the Feedback, and whether provided through the Site or in other fora or media such as a chat room, survey, report, grant, software tool, bulletin board or otherwise.
As used above, "License to the Gates MRI" means a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to the Gates MRI and its affiliates to exercise all now or later existing intellectual property rights or other rights of yours or others in the Feedback, for purposes of supporting the Gates MRI's charitable purposes (as determined by us in our discretion from time to time) in full or in part and in all possible media (now known or later developed). The foregoing rights include (but are not limited to), the right to display, perform, read (on air or otherwise), and publish in public or private sites, newspapers or other media, brochures, reports and so on, all or part of the Feedback and any other information that you provide through or relating to our Site or the Content. The License to the Gates MRI is in addition to any (if any) that you may be required to provide under any separate agreement between us and you (including grants or other agreements).
7. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Gates MRI and Third Parties, from and against all losses, damage, liability and costs of every nature incurred by any of them in connection with any claim, damage or loss related to or arising out of: The Content, use of the Site or related sites, any assistance or services provided by us or Third Parties, any alleged unauthorized use of the Site, or any breach or alleged breach by you of these Terms. You agree to cooperate fully in the defense of any of the foregoing. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to control exclusively the defense of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you and you will not settle any matter without our consent in a non-electronic record. Your obligation to indemnify, defend and hold harmless shall be limited to the extent that you are afforded sovereign immunity under applicable federal, state or local laws. In such cases where your obligation to indemnify may be limited due to the requirements of federal, state or local laws, you shall be responsible for the ordinary negligent acts and omissions of your agents and employees causing harm to persons not a party to this agreement.
8. NO WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS OR OTHER DUTIES. THE SITE AND ALL CONTENT (regardless of who generates it), SITE FUNCTIONALITY, ASSISTANCE AND SERVICES PROVIDED BY SITE, THE GATES MRI OR THIRD PARTIES (collectively, "COMPLETE SITE") ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND PROVIDED BY US OR THIRD PARTIES "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OR CONDITION, AND WITHOUT THE UNDERTAKING OF ANY DUTY, OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY (IF ANY) WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY DUTY (IF ANY) OF WORKMANLIKE EFFORT OR LACK OF NEGLIGENCE. THE COMPLETE SITE IS PROVIDED: (1) WITH ALL FAULTS AND THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY AND EFFORT IS WITH YOU; AND (2) WITHOUT ANY ASSURANCE, OR WARRANTY, CONDITION OR DUTY OF OR REGARDING: FUNCTIONALITY; PRIVACY; SECURITY; ACCURACY; AVAILABILITY; LACK OF: NEGLIGENCE, INTERRUPTION, VIRUSES OR OF OTHER HARMFUL CODE, COMPONENTS OR TRANSMISSIONS; OR THE NATURE OR CONSEQUENCES OF AVAILABLE CONTENT SUCH AS (WITHOUT LIMITATION) WHETHER SOFTWARE OR OTHER CONTENT IS SUBJECT TO ANY PARTICULAR LICENSE, OR WHETHER IT IS SUBJECT TO ANY RESTRICTIONS OR CONSEQUENCES THAT MIGHT BE TRIGGERED BY ANY EXERCISE OF A RIGHT GRANTED UNDER THESE TERMS. ALSO, THERE IS NO WARRANTY BY US OR THIRD PARTIES OF TITLE OR AGAINST INFRINGEMENT OR INTERFERENCE WITH ENJOYMENT OF ANY ASPECT OF THE COMPLETE SITE. YOU AGREE THAT YOU WILL OBTAIN (INCLUDING THROUGH DOWNLOAD) ANY CONTENT ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY RESULTING INFRINGEMENT, BREACH OF CONTRACT, CONSEQUENCE OR DAMAGE, INCLUDING (WITHOUT LIMITATION) TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA.
11. Linked Sites.
Our Links to Other Sites: Our Site may contain links to websites of third parties. We provide these links as a convenience, but do not endorse the linked site or anything on it. While their information, products, services and information may be helpful to you, they are independent entities and we do not control or endorse them. You agree that any visits to linked sites are at your own risk and governed by their privacy policies (if any).
Your Links to Our Site: You are not permitted to link or shortcut to our Site from your website, blog or similar application, without obtaining prior written permission from us.
Each time you return to the Site, we encourage you to check the effective date of the then posted version of these Terms—if it is later than the date of the version last reviewed, the Terms have been changed and the new version should be reviewed before using the Site.
13. GOVERNING LAW AND EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION. These Terms and your use of the Site are governed by the laws of the State of Washington, U.S.A., without regard to its choice of law provisions, except where you are required by published governmental law, ordinance, regulation, directive, order, or the like (collectively, "Mandate") to contract for application of the law of your local jurisdiction. You hereby consent to exclusive jurisdiction of a state or federal court of general jurisdiction sitting in King County, Washington, U.S.A. except to the extent you are prohibited from doing so by a Mandate.
14. Legal and Other Notices or Disclosures. Notice to You: You agree that we may give all notices we are required to give you by posting notice on the Site or, if we have your email address, by sending notice by email at our discretion, including (without limitation), disclosures that we are required to give you, legal notices, notice of subpoenas or other legal process (if any), and all other communications. When we communicate by email, we may use any email address you provide when communicating with us or that we otherwise have in our records, so only supply to us an email address at which you are willing to receive all communications, including “legal” or potentially sensitive communications such as information about a job or grant application. You agree to check for notices posted on the Site.
Notice to Us (Our Legal Notices Address): We receive many emails and not all employees are trained to deal with every kind of communication. Accordingly, you agree to send us notice by mailing it to the following ("Our Legal Notice Address"):
Bill & Melinda Gates Medical Research Institute
P.O. Box 23350
Seattle, WA 98102
15. Termination or Cancellation; No Continuing Rights. You have no continuing right to use the Site and we may deny or suspend access, or terminate or cancel this agreement with or without cause and at any time and without prior notice. This is so even if you elect to store documents on this site such as your resume for use in a job application or a draft of a grant application, so make your own copies of anything to which you want to ensure access. We may give notice of termination or cancellation in the same way that we may provide other notices.
Termination or cancellation will not eliminate the surviving provisions of these Terms (see "Entire Agreement; Miscellaneous") and you will still be liable for obligations incurred before the agreement or access ended.
18. Electronic Transactions. We and each of the Third Parties may deal with you electronically now and in the future in their respective discretion during the entire course of activities pursued with you (e.g., applying for, obtaining, implementing, terminating and enforcing a grant or anything else), including but not limited to having you electronically sign documents and receive electronic notices. We and each of the Third Parties also reserves the right to deal non-electronically and to require you to do so.
19. Additional or Required Notices. Various laws require or allow us to give users certain notices and each of them is incorporated into these Terms. Users may review the notices by clicking on their link:
Notice: No Harvesting or Dictionary Attacks Allowed. The Gates MRI will not give, sell, or otherwise transfer addresses maintained by it to any other party for the purposes of initiating, or enabling others to initiate, electronic mail messages except as authorized by law or appropriate Gates MRI personnel or policies. Except for parties authorized to have such addresses, persons may violate federal law if they: (1) initiate the transmission to our computers or devices of a commercial electronic mail message (as defined in the U.S. "CAN-SPAM Act of 2003") that does not meet the message transmission requirements of that act; or (2) assist in the origination of such messages through the provision or selection of addresses to which the messages will be transmitted.
Notice Regarding Trademarks. The trademarks used in the Site are owned by (1) the Gates MRI or (2) their respective trademark owners, and are either trademarks or registered trademarks of the Gates MRI. The names of actual companies and products mentioned in the Site may be the trademarks of their respective owners. You may not use any of the above or other trademarks displayed on this Site or in any Content. All rights are reserved.
Notice Regarding Copyright ownership: Copyright 2018 Gates Medical Research Institute and/or its affiliates and suppliers. All rights reserved.
All Services provided on the Site and any services or Content provided on any related site owned, operated, licensed or controlled by the Gates MRI or any of its units or affiliated entities (collectively, "Group"), are subject to intellectual property rights, contractual and other protections. The intellectual property rights are owned by the Gates MRI or others in the Group or their licensors (which may include you). Except for Available Content or Content that you own, no Content may be copied, distributed, republished, uploaded, posted or transmitted in any way except pursuant to the express provisions of the Terms or with the prior non-electronic consent of the Gates MRI or its designee. Modification or use of the Available Content for any other purpose may violate intellectual property rights. No title to copies or to intellectual property rights are transferred to users—all title and rights remain with the Gates MRI or others in the Group.
Notice Regarding Copyright Agent. The Gates MRI respects the intellectual property rights of others and requests that Site users do the same. Anyone who believes that their work has been infringed under copyright law may provide a notice to the designated Copyright Agent for the Site containing the following:
Copyright infringement claims and notices should be sent in the following manner to:
Bill & Melinda Gates Medical Research Institute
Attn: Connie Collingsworth, Legal
P.O. Box 23350
Seattle, WA 98102
Notice of Availability of Filtering Software. We do not believe that the Site contains materials that would typically be the subject of filtering software and minors are not authorized to visit our Site. Nevertheless, all users are hereby informed that parental control protections (such as computer hardware, software, or filtering services) are commercially available that may assist in limiting access to material that is harmful to minors. A report detailing some of those protections can be found at Children's Internet Protection Act: Report on the Effectiveness of Internet Protection Measures and Safety Policies.